Monday, January 21, 2008

Thaipusam Festival

Last night at 2:00 am we were awakened by the sound of drums, bells and chanting outside the bedroom window. When I looked out the window, I saw a sea of people marching down the street.

This is the Hindu festival of Thaipusam. The marchers are traveling from the temple near my house to Clark Quay.

When I woke up this morning at 5:30, the marching was still going on strong. The marchers tend to travel in clumps around one or two guys who are carrying this:

The men who are carrying these things seem to be in a trance. They have hooks in their skin, as you can see from this photo:

I never knew there were so many Hindus here in Singapore; I can still hear the drums and chanting and smell the incense from the festival's marchers! This guy had hooks through his mouth and tongue - now THAT'S devotion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home