Sunday, January 06, 2008

The 10km Disgrace

I woke up early this morning and took the bus up to MacRitchie Reservoir to run a 10 kilometer race.

Its a beautiful place to run: beside the mist covered water and through the dark jungle. Occassionally there were monkeys sitting beside the path watching me pass.

Unlike Pohnpei, all the runners wear shoes. Also, I am no longer among the top ten fastest runners. I ended up in 44th place with a time of 48:07.

******************************************************
I've been reading the book Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee which Rohaizad has checked out from the public library. Having just completed The Human Stain, I seem to be stuck on the theme of disgraced college professors.

Anyways, as I was reading it yesterday evening, I noticed that some six or eight pages were missing. So I asked Rohaizad to return it to the library and pick up another copy for me.

He told me that when he informed the staff of the damage to the book, he was chided by the person on duty. They informed him that it was his fault for not checking for damage before he checked out the book.

Ahh, lovely Singapore, teaching us to keep our mouths shut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home