Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Peinering island is easy to find and most of the walls are in pretty good shape. Besides getting out of the kayak a few times when my foot fell asleep, this was my first stop.

The walls are partly collapsed, but you can see the amount of work that must have gone into building these walls. This picture was taken from inside the island.

On Peinering island people made and stored coconut oil which was then used for ceremonies or lighting.

This picture doesn't show it very clearly, but this pile of rocks on Peinering is exactly square and there is a three-foot square hole in middle of it. I don't know what it was used for.

I have to confess that when I landed on this island, I was so lost that I didn't know where I was. There is a channel near Peinering that goes out to the ocean. I went out there and found Nemwenkau pond from which I got my bearings and figured out my way around.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home