Sunday, September 03, 2006

Profound Thoughts

Last night I was driving home from eating dinner at Jonathan's house in Kitti. It was about 8:00 pm and the moon was shining brightly; I almost didn't need my headlights.

When I got home, I got out my binoculars and stood by the ocean looking at the moon. I was hoping I might get to see the European space ship which was scheduled to crash on the moon yesterday. All I saw was craters.

It made me think, though. The other planets that have moons have catchy, mythological names for them, but we call ours "the moon." It's like having a homely, yet loyal puppy and just calling him "dog." Cruel! We should name our moon "Tonto" (as in the Lone Ranger and) or "Robin" (as in Batman and) or "Tenille" (as in The Captain and).

Well, it was a party-filled weekend. Friday night we kareoked at Neime's new outdoor coffee house. Saturday Janhabi hosted a party at Snowland. And Sunday evening we had the get-together at Jonathan's where we workshopped our new theatrical offering.

But I should tell you the story of our trip to Nahlap Island Resort a week ago. We arranged for the boat to pick us up at 10:00 am, but they said the tide was too low and asked us to come at 8:30. We arrived late (8:45) and the boat was just arriving. The boat driver said he had to run to the store, so he drove off for about 45 minutes.

By the time he returned, there was hardly any water. We rode in the boat for 1/2 mile and got stuck. So we all (Janhabi, Helen, Jen, Rohaizad, the Primo family and myself) had to get out and walk for about 200 meters. The mud sucked our feet up; sometimes I sank further than my knees. Poor Helen went down past her thighs. It was black muck like tar. Eeeuu! Seeing Rohaizad plodding through the mud was once-in-a-lifetime.

At least we only had to walk those 200 meters and then could ride the 2 kilometers or so to the island! And once on the island, it was great. Every day on Nahlap Island is a good day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

I love your comments about the moon! Believe it or not we were having this discussion at the table the other day but didn't get as far as actually suggesting names. I'll have to ask the boys what they think "moon" should be called. I think you've got some great ideas. Try sending them on to NASA and see what happens (since it seems there is a lot changing going on - now poor Pluto isn't even a planet - so - uh - what is is?)

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home