Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Pulau Ubin

This morning, Rohaizad and I hopped on a bus for an hour ride to Changi Point Ferry Terminal. From there we hopped on a bumboat to Pulau Ubin. Here is a bumboat with an airplane flying above it!

Pulau Ubin means "Granite Island" because they used to quarry granite here. Only about 100 people live there and it is the only place in Singapore that you can still see what kampong (village) life was like a hundred years ago.

After getting off the boat at the jetty, we entered the bustling Jalan Ubin, or "Granite Street." It has about a dozen bicycle rental shops and hawkers stalls.

We rented two bikes and set out to explore the paths around the island.

This photo makes me look pretty brave as I ride over the teeter-totter, but I actually freaked out and fell off when I was half way across. I'm not as young and brave as I once was, but I came out of it unharmed.

In addition to more traditional houses, there were several collections of floating houses near the shore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home