Sunday, December 30, 2007

Bras Basah

One thing I like about Singapore is the "specialized" malls, although I only know of two of them.

Sim Lim is a mall that focuses on electronics and it freaks me out a bit.

But Bras Basah is a mall with four floors of book stores: used books, new books, text books, you name it!

There are other sorts of stores as well mixed in with the books. They're all pretty cool, such as music stores, arts & craft supply stores, stationery and the like.

This afternoon I took an excursion there. Here I am preparing to enter paradise:

"Basah" is a Malay word meaning "wet", so Bras Basah means "wet bras".

Just kidding! "Bras" means "uncooked rice". The mall is named after the Bras Basah Street where rice was laid out to dry in the olden days.

This warning sign is by the entrance to the mall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

NO WAY! I can't tell you how envious I am thinking of a mall with FOUR FLOORS of BOOKS!

I also can't tell you how happy David will be when he finds out such a thing is that far away from me!! :-)

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home