Sunday, December 23, 2007

36 Hours: It just FEELS like a lifetime

Hey, our little nation of Singapore is featured in the New York Times today! The article is called "36 Hours in Singapore". It says that my neighborhood, Little India, "resembles a movie set". Starring me, of course.

Yesterday morning Rohaizad and I went out and ate Roti Prata for breakfast at the hawker's stalls at Tekka Market. We splurged after the meal and had some chendal to drink.

Chendal tastes like ice cream and it has green, gelatinous wormy things inside that squiggle down your throat when you are drinking. Deeeelish!

In the evening I went down to a choir concert at the Singapore Art Museum.

After the concert I baffled a woman who was surveying shoppers. There I was walking down Orchard Road: Southeast Asia's shopping Mecca, and I told her that the only thing I had purchased was a cup of chai at the kopitiam (coffee shop). She repeated her question several times to make sure I understood it and she even explained to me that Christmas was just a few days away. Take that, consumer culture!

Here's a photo of the holiday lights on Orchard Road. It's just like Hamden, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home