Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day in Kosrae

The Treelodge hosted a 4th of July shin-dig last night for about 20 expats, so I went. We even let some Canadians and Australians join the gang. We sat on the deck in the mangroves, looking at the sun set over the mountains while we drank (Korean) beer and ate lobster. What a life.

My friend Helen from Pohnpei came to visit me yesterday, so she was my guest at the party. After the party I walked her home to the Nautilus then rode my bike home.

I had never ridden my bike in the dark out here before, and at first I thought it was about the most beautiful thing in the world: billions of stars and the silouettes of palm trees over the ocean.

But then I realized that it was so dark that I couldn't see the road. I had to stop my bike and wait for a car to come so I could see the road. I was also really scared of running over a toad or a crab or hitting a dog or a person. NEVER AGAIN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home