Friday, June 20, 2008

Day Trippin' on the Southern Islands

Yesterday the fates smiled upon Rohaizad and I and canceled all the plans we had for today, so we could spend the day together!

We decided to go to the southern islands of Singapore: St. John's Island and Kusu Island.

We bought some sandwiches at Marina South Pier, then boarded a ferry for the twenty minute journey.

St. John's was our first stop. Why didn't I discover this place earlier?! It is so peaceful, beautiful, shady, breezy and quiet. We were almost the only people there.

You can see Singapore in the distance.

St. John's Island also has a really nice beach. Seeing as we were in the shipping lanes and just 3 miles away from Singapore, I wouldn't trust the water for swimming, though!

Next we took the boat over to Kusu Island for some hiking, picnicking and chilling out. It seems more developed than St. John's and definitely had more people, although it was by no means crowded.

I suppose these two islands are to Singapore what Nahlap and Black Coral are to Pohnpei. Now that I know they're there and so easy to get to, I'll be back whenever I need to escape!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home