Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Where the Wild Things Are

Yesterday morning as I was getting ready to go to work, I heard my dog Nina whining outside. She's such a noise-maker: squealing, whining and barking for hours, day and night.

Nevertheless, I went outside to see what was bothering her and discovered that she was ON THE ROOF OF THE NAHS! She was stuck and scared to death, so I had to lure her down to the edge where I could grab her.

I don't know if she's brilliant for finding a way up there or stupid for getting herself stuck.

This morning, she was causing a hubbub on the patio while I was setting water out for her and her kin. When I glanced down I saw that she had this crab trapped under a table...
It is hard to feel sorry for something this ugly, but I did take pity. I sprayed water to get the dogs away and then shooed it off the patio.

I've really learned to live in harmony with nature. A few nights ago I awoke to something tickling me. I turned on the light to find a cockroach in bed with me (frisky little bugger!), so I just brushed him away and went back to sleep.

Also, last Saturday I discovered my first centipede. It was dead (thank goodness) on my patio and what a terrifying creature it was! If I had seen one of those within my first few weeks on island, I'd've headed for the airport. They're poisonous too.

Once in a while my house is infested with termites in the evening. When I turn on a light they gather 'round by the thousands. Watching DVDs is challenging, because they make a cloud around the screen. So I've learned to put a bright light bulb in the bathroom to lure them all in there and then I'm usually left alone by all but a dozen or so of them. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home