Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sights around Kolonia

In the past couple of weeks while I was without my car and bicycle, I did a fair bit of walking around Kolonia. I must say, I kind of enjoyed it. And it gave me the opportunity to take some photos of things I normally just zoom past.
I'm not particularly optimistic about the chances of actually stopping people from spitting in Kolonia, but I really like the signs they've made about it. This one above is my favorite sign.
A pathway through the old Spanish Wall. The Spanish Wall was built in the 19th century to protect the colonizers from the angry Pohnpeians. When the Germans took over, the first thing they did is start to dismantle the wall. The second thing they did was quick rebuild it when the Pohnpeians attacked. If you go to Micronesia Seminar, you can find old, old photos of Spanish, Germans and Pohnpeians walking through this gate. Now it opens up to the Catholic School.
Congressional elections are happening in a few weeks, so there are signs all over the place. The candidates all have their photos pf themselves on their signs. Why? I don't know. I'm impressed that Mohner here is appealling to our sense of taste: politicians often overlook that. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home