Friday, December 22, 2006

Another Day Here

I keep looking for some context in which to say, "I have traveled from the middle of nowhere and am now in the corner of nowhere." Now I don't have look any longer, because I've just said it.

Anyhow, another day of my life has been spent on the beautiful island of Palau.

Of all the wacky things, I ate at a MEXICAN restaurant last night, and it was GOOD! The cook is really Mexican. Sheesh, did his boat go off-course or what? They also stuck an enormous sombrero on me and took my photo, threatening to put me on their web page. I think it is www.bandido.palau.com or something, but I do know for sure that the restaurant is called Bandido's and it is great.

It fueled me up for another day in the Rock Islands today. Whew ... here's what I did and saw today while snorkeling and sightseeing:

1. An underwater Japanese zero that crashed during World War II.
2. Jellyfish lake, a freshwater lake in the middle of one of the Rock Islands with millions (literally) of jellyfish. You can snorkel with them because they've lost their sting over millions of years with no enemies. Now they just photosynthesize for food. You have never SEEN so many jellyfish! They felt like breast implants.
3. Bright red parrots flying around.
4. Where they filmed "Survivor: Palau"
5. Huuuuuuuuuge clams. These puppies were six feet across!
6. The Milky Way, which is a place to take a mud bath. The mud is pure white and stinks like sulphur, but it is supposed to make you look years younger, so I coated myself in it. Now I'm a teenager.
7. About a billion-and-a-half other gorgeous fish.
8. So many islands that I never could have gotten back home if I had to navigate.

After we got back to port, I went to the prison where they sell the best and the cheapest carved storyboards. It was a little strange to go through security and stuff, but the storyboards were beautiful and ornate. I didn't buy any, though, since I already own a few in Baltimore.

Keeping on the theme of ethnic restaurants, I hit the Thai restaurant this evening. Mmm mm mm. What am I going to do back on Pohnpei with nothing but fried food in the six restaurants. Sigh. This Palau thing is really growing on me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susi said...

Hey guys! I hope the Penthouse is treating you well. Say hi to all the staff there and to my good friend Ada Eledui (director of the Rock Island Reserve) who has dinner at your hotel pretty much every night. Also, do you know that the owner is Tina Salii, wife of Lazarus Salii, the president who committed suicide, the one in the book "The Edge of Paradise"?

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home