Thursday, December 21, 2006

Palauing Forward

Man, I'm bummed that I can't put photos onto the blog with this computer at my hotel, because this is one great island. I will post some shots when I get home. Meanwhile, here's the story of my Palauan life since last I've written.

Last night we ate at a really good Indian restaurant called The Taj (yes, Indian food in Micronesia!). After that we crossed the street and got caught up in a huge Christmas celebration with families and children visiting Santa, singing, Christmas lights, and the whole shebang. It was wonderful mayhem.

This morning we woke up early and took a boat out to the Rock Islands. Once we got there we snorkeled and kayaked for about 7 hours. What an amazing place. All the islands look like mushrooms, with the bottoms eaten away by the waves. By kayaking under the ledge, you can pretty much stay out of the sun.

There were a few old Japanese shipwrecks we checked out and we saw some great marine life, including giant clams with their huge colorful lips, the brightest coral I've ever seen and two Mandarin fishes. Even the most ordinary fish is spectacular out there.

Tomorrow we hope to return to the Rock Islands to get a more thorough tour on a motor boat and see Jellyfish Lake. The longer I am on Palau the more I love it. The people are so kind and the sights are spectacular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home