Friday, November 25, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

So the Supreme Court is having a conference at the College this week. With less than a week's notice, they have taken over several instructional spaces, causing the teachers to scramble to find some other place to teach.

This doesn't effect me, but a few weeks ago I was forced to change my concert performance date because the International Tuna Commission wanted to use the Practice Gym where the performance was to be held. Although I had reserved it well in advance, I had to rearrange the schedule, change the syllabus and the students had to find a way to work around this new plan.

The Tuna Commission meeting is also taking up every bit of student social space during exams. This means that they cannot use the gym, the student union, the pool and ping-pong rooms - all the spaces that students need to relax during the stress of exams.

How is it possible that a college could rank students so low on the priority list? Why do the students put up with it? Why do the leaders insist on behaving this way toward the young people of the country?

I was told that it has to do with respect. Since the government gives us the money to run the college, we are at their mercy. If you tick off a leader, the ramifications can be disastrous and lengthy. They're like little kids who harbor a grudge for a long time unless they get their way, except these spoiled brats hold the purse strings.

It's sad to see a government which so shamelessly takes from the youth of the country and offers them so little in return.

It serves as a good reminder to me. There is respect and fear. If I want to get things done, I hope I can earn people's respect instead of inciting fear. I will continue give these "leaders" the priority they need to stroke their egos, but try my best to give an example of real leadership to the students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home