Monday, October 31, 2005

It's ... NODBOY!

Living on Pohnpei gives you a lot of hours to fill up in the evenings. In terms of dining out, going to movies, television, theater and concerts, the options are amazingly limited.

But I usually don't mind at all. It makes me creative. It also has helped me to forge some of the strongest friendships I've ever made. And I've discovered a lot of wonderful (an many crappy) books. I've read a ton of books since arriving here, but my favorite author I've found is Wallace Stegner.

A few weeks ago I checked out the book "James Thurber: 92 Stories" from the library. It's an excellent book and I've been a fan of Thurber for years. He has wonderful insight into the relationship between men and women and such a clever turn of phrase.

On page 274 I found one of my favorite typos ever. "His mother still worried about him, but nodboy else did." Nodboy! A forgotten superhero? What is his superstrength, righting wrongs with just a nod of his head? Should I dress up like him for Hallowe'en? I hope we haven't heard the last of him, we need more Nodboys in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home