Thursday, September 18, 2008

Memories of the Islands

A friend of mine sent me some photos of my final days on Pohnpei. I had been teaching for the summer on the island of Kosrae, but then flew back to Pohnpei for two days before leaving Micronesia.

On the same day I flew in from Kosrae, I ran a half marathon. Ahh, so young and foolish. It was two hours of heat and sunshine, resulting in spending my farewell party in a hammock feeling a bit ill. But here I am before the race began; I had just spent and hour sitting at Joy Restaurant eating breadfruit chips, so I'm feeling GREAT ... for now.

I also stopped by my old house to visit my dogs. I was so happy that they remembered me after I had been on Kosrae for two months.

Tubbs, the black dog, is no longer alive. He got hit by a car after I left. It was bound to happen sooner or later. He loved to chase cars and stick his nose under their front tires as they were moving.

TC and me: together one last time.

There is so much I miss about those simpler days on the islands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home