Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Fixin's of Island Life

The brakes are going out on my car, so I’ve ordered new ones. It takes two weeks for them to arrive from Australia.

Janhabi is on island this week, so she is driving me around so I don’t crash and die from failed brakes.

Monday morning I was helping her get out of my driveway since it is hard to see with all the jungle.

As usual, the dogs were in the road chasing cars. I yelled at TC for chasing cars and he backed away from me right under the front wheel of a pick-up truck as it passed. The wheel went right over his torso, yet he immediately hopped back up and seems fine now.

Earlier the same morning as I was riding my bike home after running at the causeway, I ran over Nina with my front bicycle tire. After a yelp, she bounced right back also.

This morning I awoke at 5:45 to find that my fridge and freezer were not cold. I called the repair person at 6:15, he arrived by 7:30 and had it fixed by 8:30.

Check out the e-mail I got this morning from the US embassy:

"Due to a Tsunami warning and a subsequent warden e-mail last Saturday evening, the U.S. Embassy was unable to contact many individuals. Fortunately, the Tsunami was not severe and only a warden e-mail was transmitted."

That ain't the kind of thing you want to hear when you live two feet above sea level. And what's a "warden e-mail"?

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Wow! Dan, you sure live in a wild and wooly place! I'm glad you're OK and the tsunami issue was a false alarm. I think I'd rather not be told after the fact that it had not been possible to get information to me earlier. Ignorance is bliss!

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home