Thursday, October 12, 2006

An Unexpected Week

This past Monday I went into work, just like any other day. As I was settling in at my desk, the phone rang. It was the US embassy.

They called to inform me that there was an Army trumpeter on island to play for the funeral of a Micronesian who was killed in Iraq. They were wondering if I would be interested in working with him to put together a little concert/presentation at the College on Thursday.

Of course, I told them I would be interested. So I drove back to Kolonia and met with him to discuss the performance. His name is Jamie Sproul.

Well, it just so happens that on Monday I was scheduled to make official recordings of the US and Micronesian national anthems at the college for official college functions. The thought crossed my mind, "Wouldn't it sound even better if a trumpet were playing along?"

So I asked Jamie if he'd be interested. He checked with his superiors and got the afternoon off to come to Palikir and make the recording.

The recording process didn't take too long, 45 minutes or so, but I had to hang out until 3:15 to give Rohaizad a ride home. So we went over to the music classroom and jammed on the trumpet and piano.

It was great! It was a real high to hang out making music.

Anyways, time went by and Thursday came along. He did his college presentation from noon until 1:00. It consisted of an introduction to the trumpet and some different styles of music. We played together on jazz piece, "Some Enchanted Evening" and the song "Nihesil Kuloak Welu" from the island of Pingelap.

In evening, Rohaizad and I invited Jamie over to our house for a pizza and jazz trumpet party. We had about 15 people over in our nahs, including the United States Ambassador. I can't imagine a more wonderful evening - hanging with friends and playing music beside Sokehs Bay as the sun set.

Anyways, Jamie is leaving today, but it was a wonderful and surprising week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home