Friday, March 10, 2006

Eine Kleine Lunchmusik

Last Friday we presented the Lunchtime Concert Series performance at the Palikir Campus of the College of Micronesia. Today we will be performing it at the Kolonia Campus.

The concert consists of all four movements of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and excerpts from The Sound of Music. It begins at 12:15 and lasts about a half hour.

Everything is performed as piano duets, and the performers are Patty Kelly (English instructor at COM), Susan Kihling (music teacher at Calvary Christian Academy), Kimie Minami (music teacher at the Catholic School), Mihoshi Uneda (student at COM) and myself.

Doing concerts in Micronesia isn't easy. Many local people don't like music without singing, at least that's what my students tell me. So I try to give a bit of history and explanation of each piece to hopefully give some context and make it a bit more interesting.

Also, there are only two or three pianos on island. Well, there are actually more than that, but all the rest that I have seen have been eaten by termites and destroyed by humidity. So we use electric keyboards - not as fun to play, but what can you do? That means that I have to do a lot of hauling stuff around and setting up.

Oh well, I do enjoy doing it, so I shouldn't complain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home